Fishing and recreational gambling is more about the experience than about winning a lot of money. Financial gain only comes second to the exhilarating experience. For most people these are recreational activities for fun and entertainment. Fishing and gambling have recreational benefits found in the excitement of taking a chance and winning. The fun is in the thrill of winning and being with friends while fishing or gambling. Both leisure activities involve some level of risk. They can cause problems when they become addictive. Fishing addiction and compulsive gambling can be destructive to families, friendship and careers.
Fishermen run the risk of recreational gambling when they are at the sea. Gambling at sea is not a completely new phenomenon. Riverboat gambling has been a part of history. In the past riverboats offers casino gambling. Riverboats would sail down the river or lake while providing gambling opportunities. Modern riverboats are casinos with gaming parlours for casino games such as blackjack, baccarat, roulette, and slots. Many of these boats are barges marooned on a river never leaving the dock. Today gambling at seas are conducted in cruise lines with bigger and more elaborate on board casinos. The ships ranging from main stream to luxury all have casinos. Sea based casinos are hot places to play but online gambling is getting hotter with offers of free bets by bookmakers.
Fishing and recreational gambling have many similarities. The fisherman’s analogy explains the behavioural aspects of gambling. Some of the similarities are the following:
- Fishing is an addictive activity just like gambling. Once you caught a fish you go fishing more frequently. Once you win you gamble more often.
- One bite or win isn’t enough you need do it again to experience the thrill.
- Bait casting is like repetitive forms of gambling. You repeat the same action again and again in the hope of winning.
- Fishing and gambling is both exciting and relaxing at the same time.
- You easily forget time when you fish or gamble and you tend to play longer than you intended.
- When one line is not catching anything you try a new one. Just like gambling, you try a new table or a new casino.
- Using the first fish as bait hoping to catch a bigger fish.
- Casting a line is like pulling a penny slot. Both are easy and there’s a chance of catching a big fish or winning.
- Bites and nibbles of fish that doesn’t get hooked are near wins just like gambling.
- Catching a fish is like a winning moment on gambling.
- Success is both a mixture of skill and chance in fishing and gambling.
- At the end of the day you forget about addition when you brought something home.
Every person can make a choice whether to gamble or not and how to reduce the risk of gambling addiction. Low-risk gambling is done for social reason mostly with family, friends or colleagues. Recreational gambling is often combined with entertainment and food. Any amount spent on gambling should be considered an entertainment cost. Developing a set of personal guidelines for low-risk gambling involves setting a schedule on when and how much to gamble. Some people who wish to stop gambling addiction find recreational fishing to be a good substitute leisure activity. They only risk losing time not money in fishing and they get the same high they experience in gambling.